Merry Meet and Welcome!

Merry Meet and Welcome!

We hope that you will find our content to be uplifting and educational. Please keep in mind that this is not a space for debate or criticism but rather a place for respect, curiosity and learning.

You are encouraged to take what you can from what we share here. If you want to know more, do not look to the contributors of this blog to teach anything beyond what we post. Seek out what feels right for you, trust the Spirit to guide you and have faith in our heavenly parents who are the givers of all pure knowledge.

March 4, 2011

My Voice Moon

Last week I sang in church. (Actually I sang "Be Thou My Vision" since it's been on my mind all month.) I have a theater background, and I enjoy performing. When I sing in church though it's different, because it's not about me. When I am preparing a piece for church I do ask God to help me sing it well, but I also ask that I can be a conduit for the spirit--a mouth for the Lord's voice to come through to the congregation. When people tell me that I sang well I do appreciate it, but when they tell me that it was "a beautiful song" or that they felt the spirit, that's when I know that they weren't just listening to me. And that's the whole point.
waning crescent from my front yard
 The idea of being a conduit for God--opening my mouth but (hopefully) letting His voice come through is an intriguing one. The LDS church encourages this in the cases of priesthood blessings, missionary discussions, and gospel lessons, but have you ever paused to think what it would be like if you could channel God's voice (or at least His message) in informal settings too?
What if I spoke to my kids the way God would speak to them? What if I spoke to my spouse that way? What if I spoke to my friends, neighbors, and (perhaps most importantly) what if I spoke to myself that way?

In our stake conference a few months ago, one of the speakers shared a quote that has stuck with me. I have looked for the source so that I can quote it exactly and give a reference, but either I have the wording off or it's not available online, so I'll just restate it as best as I can. He said "Fathers, lower your tempers;  Mothers, lower your voices." I remember nodding along to the first half of the statement, and then feeling very chastised by the second half. Because, in my case, my voice is usually the outlet of my temper. I'm a very verbal person, and respond to most things in a vocal way.

So this month I am resolving to lower my own voice, and to try to let the Lord speak through me.

Merry New Moon!
~
Blessed Be.

1 comment:

  1. This too is something that I am working on. You have described a very powerful way to consider our speech to our children. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

We hope that you will find our content to be uplifting and educational. Please keep in mind that this is not a space for debate or criticism but rather a place for respect, curiosity and learning.
Please, join the circle, share your thoughts!