Merry Meet and Welcome!

Merry Meet and Welcome!

We hope that you will find our content to be uplifting and educational. Please keep in mind that this is not a space for debate or criticism but rather a place for respect, curiosity and learning.

You are encouraged to take what you can from what we share here. If you want to know more, do not look to the contributors of this blog to teach anything beyond what we post. Seek out what feels right for you, trust the Spirit to guide you and have faith in our heavenly parents who are the givers of all pure knowledge.

December 23, 2010

Ayla



I'm the reverse of most of the moms here. I'm a pagan who became Mormon. I wasn't raise LDS. I grew up in Southern Nevada and Southern Utah but I was born into a fairly inactive Episcopal family. I was deeply spiritual in my childhood, I read, questioned and prayed for answers to my burning questions.

I practiced Judaism for a few years when I was 12-15, but soon I went on to pursue other interests. I began exploring my Native American heritage which led me to question my Irish ancestory. What were the Irish before St. Patrick? That's when I encountered what would be called "Paganism."

I explored Picti Witta, then Celtic tradition Wicca, and so forth. I studied under Revered Susan Quails at the Church of the Phoenix Rising in Boise, ID. I went on to participate in the Goddess Temple ceremonies and education classes at Temple Sekhmet in Nevada.

After earning a BA in German with a minor in Anthropology I went on to earn a Master's degree in Women's Spirituality from New College of California at San Francisco. (The program has since moved to ITTP Palo, Alto). In my two years of study there I was honored to study under such wonderful women as Luisa Teisch, Vicki Nobel and Judy Grahn among others.

These courses opened up for me the Divine Feminine in many cultures and religions across the world. This broadened and deepened my personal understanding of the feminine aspect of God.

Personally during this academic journey I had given birth to my sons, unassisted, at-home. I had breastfed them and really gained a testimony of our Heavenly Mother and the divinity within the Spirit of motherhood. This testimony led me to the Mormon Church where the founder Joseph Smith had revealed that we have a Heavenly Mother as well as a Heavenly Father.

I wrote part of my graduate thesis on Mormonism and it's connection to magick and the Divine Feminine. You can read my thesis; Heavenly Mothers and Plain Goddesses; A Look at Magick, the Divine Feminine and Homebirth in the Mormon and Amish Communities of North America HERE.

A year or so after writing my thesis I presented at Sunstone Symposium and was turned-on to some of the writings of Brigham Young concerning Adam-God theory (which to me was akin to pagan ancestor worship) as well as Brigham Young's quotes on the nature of God and the importance of homebirth.

"Nature is the glass reflecting God, as by the sea reflected is the sun, too glorious to be gazed on in his sphere."
- Brigham Young

...“Would you want Doctors? Yes, to set bones. We should want a good surgeon for that, or to cut off a limb. But do you want doctors? For not much of anything else, let me tell you, only the tradition of the people lead them to think so; and here is a growing evil in our midst." - Brigham Young

"It will be so in a little time that not a woman in all Israel will dare to have a baby unless she can have a doctor by her. I will tell you what to do, you ladies, when you find you are going to have an increase, go off into some country where you cannot call for a doctor, and see if you can keep it."- Brigham Young


 I had questioned who should have been the Prophet following Joseph Smith's murder and now I had a firm belief that Brigham Young was the next prophet and seer of the Church.  This led me to join the LDS church and even though I occasionally struggle I know that the LDS church is the true church of our Heavenly Parents on earth. I know Jesus Christ was my Savior and I know that the gospel has made my good life even better. 

I still retain a deep connection to paganism. I don't consider myself  "not pagan" I simply consider Mormonism, at it's heart, to be very pagan. The paganism in Mormonism to me comes from...

The "God" and "Goddess" in the revealed knowledge of Our Heavenly Parents 

Concept of Universal salvation, no fire and brimstone Hell, no salvation through grace

The magic and ceremony of the LDS Temples

The Prophet Enoch communing with the Earth Mother in Moses 7: 48-49

That our Savior lives, in flesh and bone and that our Heavenly Parents too, our beings of flesh and bone just as the ancient pagans believed


I could go on and on. 

In our family we attend church regularly and we follow it's teachings. We also celebrate the Wheel of the Year, the old holidays, of Paganism to keep that connection with our Earth that is so important and can be so easily lost in our modern world. 

I am the mother of three beautiful boys born in 2003, 2007 and 2009. I'm a crunchy homebirther who breastfeeds, practices elimination communication, child led weaning, attachment parenting, etc. I am a passionately committed wife, mother and keeper of the home. I Waldorf homeschool, cook meals from scratch in the tradition of Dr. Weston Price and Sally Fallon and rant a lot about the injustices of the world. I blog over at A Wise and Glorious Purpose  and I was the author of the SageWoman column "Peaceful Mom" from 2006-2009.

I believe in the much needed radical revolution of our current society. I strive everyday to come closer to the United Order dreamed of by the early Mormon founders, a world of peace and social justice, of communal living, equal worth and opportunity, and intense local sustainability and in the sacredness of the family unit- I believe in Zion.

 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Ayla, that's really impressive. I also follow Sally Fallon's recommendations and am interested in social justice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a blessing to me to find out that I am not the only pegan/wiccan/celtic to become a Mormon. For most of my life i quesioned religion and happen to fall into becoming a witch. I was Converted by a friend. When she spoke about her religion it felt right and true. My body was filled in light and happness. At that time, as a witch, i felt as if the Goddess was telling me that this is the path she wants me to follow. Since then its only been a few months but I am so happy for my new path.
    -Brianne

    ReplyDelete

We hope that you will find our content to be uplifting and educational. Please keep in mind that this is not a space for debate or criticism but rather a place for respect, curiosity and learning.
Please, join the circle, share your thoughts!